Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Android Camera2 Bare Minimum Code Sample

Google has replaced camera API with camera2 API a few years ago. I guess it is a good thing that Google is working hard to improve Android, personally I think camera2 API is just so difficult. Compared to the deprecated camera API, it requires so much more code.

I am trying to understand this new camera2 API, and it is just not easy. I looked at Google's Camera2Basic sample code, it is still daunting for Android beginners like myself. Well, here is my attempt to trim down this fat sample code into the bare minimum so that it is easier to understand the fundamentals of the camera2 API.

All it does is to connect to a camera and display its preview to the screen. No capture, no manual focus, no error checks, etc. I am not happy that even this bare-bone app requires so many lines. Anyways, I will add more functionalities in the upcoming post.



No comments:

Post a Comment